Gephi is an open-source network analysis and visualisation software package written in Java on the NetBeans platform. It is a tool for exploring and understanding graphs that allows users to interact with the representation, manipulate the structures, shapes and colours to reveal hidden patterns. Its goal is to help data analysis to make hypothesis, intuitively reveal trends and patterns, highlight outliers and tell stories with their data. It uses a 3D render engine to display large graphs in real-time and to speed
|SWOT Analysis for
|Strengths• Real-time visualization: Profit from the fastest graph visualization engine to speed-up understanding and pattern discovery in large graphs. Powered by its ad-hoc OpenGL engine, Gephi is pushing the envelope on how interactive and efficient network exploration can be.
• Layout: Layout algorithms give the shape to the graph. The Layout palette allows user to change layout settings while running, and therefore dramatically increase user feedback and experience.
• The statistics and metrics framework offer the most common metrics for social network analysis (SNA) and scale-free networks.
• Networks over time: forefront of innovation with dynamic graph analysis:
o Visualize how a network evolve over time by manipulating the embedded timeline.
o Import temporal graph with the GEXF file format
o Run metrics over time
o Graph streaming ready
• Create cartography: Use ranking or partition data to make meaningful the network representation.
• Dynamic filtering: Filter the network to select nodes and/or edges based on the network structure or data. Use interactive user interface to filter the network in real-time.
• Data Table and Edition: Gephi has its own Data Laboratory with an Excel-like interface to manipulate data columns, search and transform the data.
o Read the majority of graph file formats but also supports CSV and relational databases import.
o Spreadsheet import wizard
o Database import
o Save/Load project files
• Ergonomic interface: no programming skills needed
• High-performance: built-in rendering engine.
• Various tutorials available in more languages than English.
|Weaknesses• Low ease of use
• Integration with traditional statistical data sets, like raw SAS datasets
• Memory requirements
• Doesn’t work with Java 8
|Opportunities• Development of dynamic features
• Exploratory Data Analysis: intuition-oriented analysis by networks manipulations in real time.
• Link Analysis: revealing the underlying structures of associations between objects.
• Social Network Analysis: easy creation of social data connectors to map community organizations and small-world networks.
• Biological Network analysis: representing patterns of biological data.
• Poster creation: scientific work promotion with hi-quality printable maps.
• Help data analysts to make hypothesis, intuitively discover patterns, isolate structure singularities or faults during data sourcing
• Problematic in installation: Doesn’t run on the latest version of Java
• Security risk
• Incompatible with xml, xlsx, and txt files
• Is in open beta, and will likely have a few bugs
• The interface and some simple interactions such as zooming in and out can be unintuitive at times.