Datawrapper is an online data-visualisation tool for making interactive charts. Once the user uploads the data from CSV/PDF/Excel file or pastes it directly into the field, Datawrapper generates a bar, line, map or any other related visualisation. Datawrapper graphs can be embedded into any website or CMS with ready-to-use embed codes
|SWOT Analysis for
|Strengths• Fully responsive: charts look great on every device your readers use: (text doesn’t become too small, fewer labels appear, the color key changes its position, etc). it offers the option to preview how the chart will appear on mobile, tablet and desktop devices directly while designing.
• No need for coding or design skills.
• No installation required.
• Interactive: charts become interactive. Readers can hover over lines, bars or map areas to see the underlying values and understand the chart better.
• Visualization of data: Choose from many chart and map types, Customize and annotate your chart to make it more effective, Match your chart design to your style guide. (fonts, colours and spacing)
• Easy import of data: Simply copy and paste your data from Excel or Google Sheets. You can also upload CSV files or link to an URL for live-updating charts.
• Easily publish charts: Copy the ready-to-use embed code into your CMS or website or export the chart as an image or PDF to print it.
|Weaknesses• Limited possibilities of customisation or extension of its standard functionalities: user must fork the source code, modify it and install it into his server.
• Data Privacy, Data ownership: Once the data are uploaded they are placed on Datawrapper's free hosting service or fork Datawrapper via Github so they will be accessible to the internet. In order to keep the data safe, it is advisable to install Datawrapper on users own servers
|Opportunities• Makes it easy to create interactive, responsive and easy embeddable in websites charts and maps.
• Visualization of data
|Threats• Data Privacy, Data ownership: Once the data are uploaded they are placed on Datawrapper's free hosting service or fork Datawrapper via Github so they will be accessible to the internet. To keep the data safe, it is advisable to install Datawrapper on users’ own servers|